Since Siamese cats are extremely social and intelligent animals, they’re not as low-maintenance a pet compared to some other feline breeds. Because of this, many people decide to adopt only one Siamese cat. However, this isn’t always the best choice to make.
It is okay to have only one Siamese cat, yet this breed requires a 24/7 companion to be happy and healthy. Siamese cat companions can include humans, other cats, or even canines, provided the personalities are a match and a friendship blooms.
If you already have a Siamese cat or are thinking about adopting one, keep reading.
This article will explain more about a siamese cat’s need for companionship. I’ll also suggest some of the best companion choices you should consider for your Siamese cat.
Siamese Cats Require Companionship
Siamese cats are some of the most fun cat breeds that you can have as a pet. Intelligent, spunky, and unwaveringly affectionate, there are many great reasons to bring one into your life and home.
However, there are important things that your Siamese cat will need. Perhaps the most important is companionship.
Siamese cats are known for being very loyal, affectionate, and playful. These traits, combined with their high intelligence, often lead to these cats getting very bored and even depressed when left alone to their own devices for even short periods of time.
For these reasons, it’s not advisable for Siamese cats to be the only pet in the home. Companionship is integral to their happiness, and they need to be social and engaged more than other cats to remain happy and healthy.
If you know that the Siamese cat will be left alone regularly, even for a few hours a day, then you’ll need to find one of these suitable companions for when you can’t be with them.
However, that companion doesn’t necessarily need to be another Siamese cat. Other suitable companions for Siamese cats include other breeds of cats, certain dogs, and humans!
Personalities of Siamese Cats
Siamese cats great companions for both children and adults. Even though all cats have their own unique personalities, there are a lot of personality traits that most Siamese cats have that spur this need for companionship.
If your specific Siamese cat doesn’t have all the personality traits listed below, they likely have some.
Here are some common traits typically shared by Siamese cats:
- They’re loving and highly affectionate. Siamese cats are well-known for their caring nature and love of being around people. A Siamese is a perfect choice if you’re looking for a cat that will cuddle with you and follow you around the house.
- They’re very intelligent and easily trained. Siamese cats are quite smart and very quick learners, and they can be easily trained to perform tricks.
- They’re loyal. Siamese cats are known for their loyalty, and they will often form strong bonds with their owners.
- They’re usually very curious and playful. Siamese cats are inquisitive by nature and love to explore their surroundings.
- They love being the center of attention. Siamese cats like to be the center of attention and may become jealous if they feel like they are being ignored.
- They’re normally very vocal and may meow frequently. However, they can also be quite shy around strangers.
- They’re high-maintenance. Siamese cats require a lot of attention and care. This means that they need plenty of toys and playtime to keep them occupied, so a Siamese cat may not be the best pet choice for busy families. Still, if you can give them the time and attention they need, they will be loyal and loving companions.
- They can get very lonely. Without another cat or animal companion, they may become withdrawn and depressed. Thus, providing them with plenty of attention and companionship is important.
Other Breeds of Cats That Make Good Siamese Companions
If you aren’t able to bring a second Siamese cat into your home for whatever reason, the next best thing is another cat of a compatible nature.
While there are always exceptions to the following suggestions, the following breeds of cats are known for personalities that would be a good complement for a Siamese cat.
Maine Coon Cats
The Maine Coon is a large, sociable breed of cat that makes a great companion for a Siamese cat.
Maine Coon cats are known for their adaptability and friendly demeanor. Indeed, these gentle giants love to play and cuddle, and they would love to do so with a Siamese cat!
The Ragdoll is a gentle and relaxed breed of cat that makes a great companion for a Siamese cat. They’re known for their laid-back personalities and their love of cuddles.
An even temper and calm nature make them easy friends for any cat, including Siamese.
The Persian is a beautiful and regal breed of cat. They’re known for their elegant nature and their love of being pampered, and they’ll always be there to provide your Siamese cat with some luxury companionship.
Their loyalty to those they love and trust is on a par with a Siamese cat, making them great lifelong friends for anyone.
The Sphynx is a hairless breed of cat that makes a great companion for a Siamese cat. Both breeds are known for being somewhat “dog-like” compared to other cats.
Sphynx cats are known for their unique appearance and their love of being close to their humans, so they have a very similar personality to Siamese cats.
Sphynxes are also a high-energy breed that’s prone to hijinks and acrobatics. Certainly, a Sphynx and a Siamese would make for perfect partners in crime.
Exotic Shorthair Cat
The Exotic Shorthair is a shorthaired breed of cat known for its affectionate nature and its love of being around people.
Their flat-nosed faces make them look a bit grumpy, but don’t let that fool you, because it’s far from the truth! An Exotic Shorthair will make a great Siamese sidekick.
The Bengal is a wild and exotic breed of cat that also makes a wonderful companion for a Siamese cat.
Even though they resemble some of their wild feline ancestors, they love to cuddle and be affectionate with their people.
They’re known for having an adventurous nature and a love of playing. Ultimately, this is a perfect breed to have around for keeping up with some of your Siamese cat’s antics.
The Abyssinian is a regal and beautiful breed of cat. Beyond their good looks, these cats are known for their good-natured mischievousness. Notably, the curiosity and playfulness of an Abyssinian cat will be well-matched with a Siamese cat friend.
One of the downsides to many of the breeds above is that they include a high price tag and are associated with breeding, which is associated with some ethical qualms.
If you are able to adopt a companion from a shelter, these personality traits that are good for a Siamese cat can be found in all sorts of different cats.
Watch for cats that are good with other animals and children since this is a trait that shows adaptability and an ability to make friends with any current pets in the house, including your Siamese.
Cat-Friendly Dog Breeds That Make Good Siamese Companions
While all dogs have the potential to get along with cats, some breeds are more likely to be Siamese cat friendly than others.
When choosing a dog breed to be a companion for your cat, it’s important to consider the individual personalities of both animals. Same as with people, some dogs and cats will naturally get along better than others, so it’s important to find a compatible pair.
With a little patience and training, a canine critter might be your Siamese cat’s new best friend!
The following sections go into some detail about the dogs with the best personalities for a Siamese cat so that you can evaluate if this is the right choice for your house!
Beagles are gentle and laid-back dogs that make great companions for Siamese cats.
They’re known for their easygoing personalities and their love of being around people. In addition to a good personality, they’re a good size and build for a Siamese companion.
Pugs are small and affectionate dogs that make great companions. They’re very playful and make some of the cutest snorts when excited. In addition, they’re known for their loving nature and intense love for snacks.
Generally speaking, a pug could potentially be a great yin to your Siamese cat’s yang!
Poodles are intelligent, loving dogs that make amazing companions due to their being extremely trainable.
Since they’re so open to training and learning certain behavior, they can be taught what is and isn’t acceptable with a Siamese cat. Over time, a poodle could make a better companion than any other!
Corgis are small and playful dogs. They’re known for their energetic nature and love of being around people, yet they also make great companions for all breeds of cats, and Siamese cats are no exception.
You can always count on a corgi to be there to provide your Siamese cat with some companionship when you’re not around.
Introducing a Siamese Cat to a New Companion
Here are some important tips to keep in mind when introducing a Siamese cat to a new companion:
- Take things slow and give the animals time to get used to each other. Start by having them meet in neutral territories, such as a friend’s house or the park. Allow them to sniff each other and explore their surroundings. If they seem interested in each other, then you can begin to let them interact more closely. However, if either animal seems uncomfortable or aggressive, it’s best to separate them and try again on another day.
- Provide the animals with plenty of space when they’re first getting to know each other. Don’t force a communal space right away. Rather, set up two litter boxes, two food and water dishes, and two beds. This will help to prevent any territorial disputes from occurring. As the animals become more comfortable with each other, they can start to share these items.
- Be patient and give the animals time to adjust to each other. It may take a few days or even weeks for them to become true friends. However, with a little time and patience, you will eventually see the animals forming a strong bond.
A Siamese cat can bring a lot of fun and love into your life because of their amazing personalities. However, it’s important that your Siamese always has a companion to ensure that their personality stays positive.
If you already have a Siamese cat or are thinking about one, be sure to make the right arrangements and accommodations in your home first so that your Siamese remains happy, healthy, and thriving!
Love reading about Siamese cats?
Then have a look at our other articles about this wonderful breed!
Or have a look at these popular reads from our website…
If you’ve ever looked up from work to see your cat staring at you, then the first thing you probably […]
Siamese cats are a popular breed for their distinct beauty and character, so you might be surprised to find out […]
Siamese cat breeds are consistently ranked in the top 2 or 3 of the most sought-after cats in the world […]